Attend these August Events in Chicago
THURSDAY // AUGUST 3, 2017
Whether your festival tolerance is no more or you want to save a dime, there are plenty of August events in Chicago away from the festival scene. Here are our picks from TimeOut Chicago.
1. Chicago Air & Water Show
It is not everyday you get to see combat jets perform air and watercraft demonstrations right above your hometown at zero cost. The U.S. Army Parachute Team Golden Knights and the U.S. Navy Blue Angels are coming to Chicago for two days to put on a show above North Beach. Don’t miss out on these amazing aerial stunts - did we mention it’s free?
- Where: North Beach Chicago - 1551 N Sheffield Ave.
- When: Saturday 8/19 & Sunday 8/20, both at 10am
- Price: FREE
Calling all comic con lovers! Wizard World is unlike any other comic con event; this convention celebrates the “best of” North American pop culture. Main attractions include a solo performance from KISS frontman Gene Simmons, one-of-a-kind merchandise, industry professional led workshops, celebrity guests including Doctor Who’s David Tennant, ER’s Alex Kingston, Stranger Things’ Gaten Matarazzo and Caleb McLaughlin, and so many more! Fans across the board gather for movies, television, music, gaming, live entertainment, comics, sci-fi, graphic novels, toys collectibles, original art and world-class programming. Visit wizardworld.com/comiccon/chicago for more information.
- Where: Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont - 555 N River Rd. Rosemont
- When: Thursday 8/24 - Sunday 8/27
- Price: $40-$60 (prices vary per day); Weekend Pass: $94
If you’re really trying to stay away from festival chaos and weekend crowds, the Museum of Contemporary Art’s Tuesdays on the Terrace might be the perfect evening for you. The free concert takes place in the Anne and John Kern Terrace Garden, featuring Chicago’s world renowned jazz community musicians. Sip on seasonal cocktails or dine from the outdoor grill, MCA Cafe, while enjoying the music on the lawn or upper terrace. The event will continue through Tuesday, September 26. We hear the buffet is pretty tasty, too.
- Where: Museum of Contemporary Art - 220 E Chicago Ave., Chicago
- When: Every Tuesday through 9/26, 5:30-8pm
- Price: Free concert; $27 optional buffet
4. Lady Gaga Live @ Wrigley Field
This may be near the Lollapalooza price range, but perhaps a concert sounds more appealing than a festival - especially a Lady Gaga concert. Gaga will perform at Wrigley Field following her 2016 album Joanne. According to TimeOut Chicago, Gaga will be the very first woman to headline at Wrigley Field. The “Bad Romance” singer and choreographer never disappoints with performances you will never forget. Standard-priced tickets may be sold out, but you may check out ticketmaster.com resale tickets at ticketsnow.com.
- Where: Wrigley Field - 1060 W Addison St., Chicago
- When: Friday 8/25, 7pm
- Price: Resale ticket prices vary on ticketsnow.com
Certainly not your average music festival, but rather a historical, over 100-year old event. In fact, according to the city of Chicago’s website, five years ago The three-day Chicago Hot Dog Fest became the largest festival year in the world to celebrate the frankfurter. No, you won’t have to watch contestants stuff as many hot dogs down their throats in record time, but rather enjoy some of the best hot dog vendors throughout Chicago. In addition, live bands will perform Friday through Sunday, including headliners Sixteen Candles, Prince Tribute by Robert Cornelius & Friends, and Mike & Joe. For more information, click here.
- Where: Stockton & LaSalle Dr., Chicago
- When: Friday 8/11 - Sunday 8/13, 11am
- Price: Suggested $5 donation, suggested $20 family donation
- Hot dogs: $4-$8
- Visit eventbrite.com for discounted dog dollar packages
Celebrating its 36th anniversary, the Northalsted Market Days returns to Chicago Boystown for two days in August. The largest outdoor street festival in the Midwest features over 40 live entertainment acts, food, arts and crafts, food and drinks and several vendors. Join hundreds of others for this year’s event stretching across six blocks on Halsted Street. For more information, click here.
- Where: North Halsted Street between Belmont & Addison in Boystown
- When: Saturday 8/12 - Sunday 8/13, 11am - 10pm
- Price: Suggested $10 donation